Thursday, February 17, 2011

BLAZE FOLEY " If I Could Only Fly"

from the CD "Sittin' By the Road" (2010) demo collection, rec. 1970s.... "Champion of the downtrodden. Friend of the working girl. Truth seeker. Atmospheric disturbance. Tender caring person with a big ol' bag of deep-rooted troubles stuffed down into one of his pockets. Blaze could cut right through the bullshit, or he could be the cause of it. The funniest person I ever met, and also the most tragic." (TX songwriter, producer, and friend, GURF MORLIX)

1 comment:

  1. Blaze Foley was a poor wanna be songwriter who hung out in Austin bars in the 1970s, so I have read and heard folks talk, who knew him. John Prine recorded his song "Clay Pigeons" a few years back. And Merle Haggard cut this song, too. Sad and tragic was his ending, as he got murdered, getting caught up in a domestic dispute with a drunken boyfriend, is what I heard. I like the melody of this thing. It has a hook, for me at least.

    ReplyDelete