Monday, April 25, 2011

1940 Delaware - Heart of Ohio Baseball League , R. B. Foster, player-manager

Lower left in photo is Bobby Burns "Chesty" Foster, born & died in Delaware, OH (1898-1980). He was owner-proprietor of Foster Paint & Wallpaper in Delaware, was my Mom's dad. Grandpa's 2 baseball gloves wy first mitts- on lucky days I'd get Dad and him to play ball with me until it was too dark, or they were too tired. Fireflies and a hazy farm summer night, a peach-colored sunset are gentle in my mind, as I gaze again at this photo. Note: I also have to wonder why Granpa snipped off the heads of the top row players. Probably to fit in the frame it was in, I suppose. Probably. But maybe he had a chuckle as he was making silent comments on their playing! You have any suggestions? Could be fun to ponder. Maybe that was part of his little joke, too .NOTE: The song, "Friendly Competition" is from John McCutceon's 2010 CD, "Passage."

No comments:

Post a Comment